09 October, 2011

I has job.


I officially have a job as an English tutor/teaching assistant! An English professor at the Economics school in town is not only American, but an alumnus from the very study abroad program that I’m here with. So for the past couple years she has been letting students from my program interview for spots as TAs for the discussion sections of her English classes. We lead them in listening/speaking activities and grade them on their participation. I’m only able to do it for one hour a week right now based on the course’s enrollment, but hey…money is money.

I was also super excited to update my resume before I interviewed. Just being able to add “the Office of Congresswoman Gwen Moore—Washington, DC” still seemed way too cool. I’m sorry if it seems like I’ve developed a complex because of it….but I still think it’s way too awesome. That internship was pretty damn close to the top of the ladder for opportunities I can get in my field at this level in my career. I’d say I can’t believe I was able to do it, but I also have high expectations for myself. If you were to tell me five years ago that I’d be where I am today…I’d say that sounds about right.

But having an updated resume, some very official writing samples, and a new job makes me a pretty happy camper right now. I figured I could take this job not only because it’s one of the only sources of income I can nab while I’m here (it’s this or babysitting—and I think you know my thoughts on children), but it’s a good thing to have for my future. The Peace Corps is on my list of 10 things I could do in my mid-range future, so a little English teaching experience could never hurt…since if I wanted to enlist, that’s what I would be doing. Or you know, a little work experience abroad never hurt anyone’s resume, either.

Thankfully my previous experience working with students will come in handy. It seems to me that running a discussion section will be like leading an educational program. I’ve done plenty of those. The other day I was going through all the old pictures I had on my computer, and I saw a photo of my residents from last year. It’s a photo from a program where I told my group “my boss told me to take pictures at my programs for some blog, so please put on a big fake smile so it looks like I’m doing my job”. I miss my residents, but I don’t miss that job. It solved a lot of my financial problems, for which I’m eternally thankful, but I’m very happy that I have moved on.


Other fun things of lately:

-Friday afternoon I went to a dog rescue center outside of town with the faculty director for my program and two other girls. We helped them with some chores (dishes, dog poo, brushing) in exchange for playing with everybody. They probably have 100 dogs. There are different sections of the property all fenced off into large play areas, and the dogs are divided up by size and temperament. They were all super nice and just wanted some love. I went into one of the kennel buildings and got assigned a real cute moppy looking guy named Balto to brush. He was such a sweetie. I’d kneel down, and he’d just come right up to me and put his head in my armpit. He just wanted a dog hug. It was a good time.

-I added a new class to my schedule, ‘Politics of the European Union’. It’s taught in English, and is only open to international students. It sounds super interesting. I’m going to try and bullshit UWM into counting it as something else I need for my major. Those people WILL give me what I need. Don’t worry about me not being able to graduate at the end of this year though—I’ve got this under control. My four year degree will be completed in four years flat.

-I’ve been having fun cooking. My friends are lucky, because I like to cook and have a real kitchen, and they like to eat. A few of us get together for dinner/meal once a week or so and everyone chips in with ingredients or just money. This morning I made crepes for the group. Nutella crepe is exactly as amazing in the States as it is in France.

-This isn’t so much a thing as it is a discovery. My friends and I discovered Lay’s cheeseburger flavored potato chips yesterday. WHY DON’T THESE THINGS EXIST IN AMERICA. I don’t even eat chips back home, but I’m having to implement a policy of moderation because these things are too good.


Life is good. Miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. Your internship was as amazing as you think it is. Brag all you want.

    ReplyDelete